NORTHAMPTON, Mass - UMaine-Farmington Field Hockey dropped its season opener to Smith College 5-1 on Saturday afternoon in the opening day of play at the Smith College Caryl Newhof Tournament. Sophomore Kasey Talarico got the Beavers (0-1) on the board first, scoring unassisted in the ninth minute of the first period. Smith (1-0) would score five unanswered goals (three in the first half, two in the second half) to take the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Pioneers outshot the Beavers 24-4 in the game and held a 9-3 advantage in penalty corners
- The Beavers saved 8 shots while the Pioneers saved 3
- Talarico and Senior Andrea Stemm lead UMF with 2 shot on goal apiece
- Five different players scored a goal for the Pioneers
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Talarico scored an early goal for the Beavers giving UMF a 1-0 lead in the first period
- Smith scored three unanswered goals before halftime to take a 3-1 into the locker room.
- Smith scored two more goals in the second half to take the 5-1 season-opening victory.
UMF will take on Plymouth State tomorrow in the consolation game at 10:30am.